Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cthulu Commands Me!

I made a Cthulu dice bag a few months into my knitting career. It was one of the first few things I've done with stranded knitting, and the floats are a little too tight. I still love it, but it ripples a bit in between the little colorwork Cthulu. Nevertheless, it is quite serviceable as a bag.


Now that I'm finished with my giant blanket, I've felt like I have no projects to do despite having several project requests from others and a few planned for myself. To combat this, I decided to pick a few patterns that I can make with yarn from my stash, write the names down on little pieces of paper, fold them up, and place them in the bag.

Then, I mixed them all up and picked one. Drum roll please!


A hat for Chatham! He asked me if I could design a hat based on a game called Conway's Game of Life. The game is based on a mathematical equation that determines the movement of squares across a grid based on the surrounding squares. The player creates a starting grid, and then the rest of it is simulated entirely based on an equation. One of the patterns that emerges from this equation is a Glider. Chatham graphed a glider with a 4 stage repeat. The first repeat is on the left, fourth one on the right, and then they start over again with the first one on the left.


I'm knitting the hat in white and then duplicate stitching the gliders on afterward. This means I can show him what the hat looks like, and we can try several different configurations without any trouble. It's a blank canvas of hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment